Thermo Scientific PathoProof Mastitis Complete assays are designed for accurate same-day identification of mastitis-causing microorganisms from bovine milk using quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR).PCR technology is used for amplifying DNA in a test tube which then enables further analysis of DNA. In thePathoProof™assays, real-time PCR detects the presence
of DNA in a milk sample and identifies the bacterial species in question based on its unique DNA. The kit includes all the necessary reagents for bacterial DNA extraction and PCR. The test has been optimized for use with even the most challenging milk samples.
Real-time PCR has become the “gold standard” method for food pathogen testing and quality assurance. Based on this advanced technology, PathoProof Mastitis Complete assays offer several advantages over the conventional bacterial culture method:
- Results are obtained substantially faster.
- Risk of carry-over contamination in the laboratory is minimized because the tests are performed in closed reaction vessels that are not opened after the run.
- Fewer “no growth” results because the test identifies and quantifies DNA, so it accurately detects viable, dead and growth-inhibited microorganisms.
- Applicable for use with preserved milk samples, thus eliminating the need for cooling during sample transportation.
- Can be integrated into milk recording programs using preserved milk.
The small reagent kits are sufficient for 50 tests*, and the large kits for 4×96 tests**. The kits are stable for six months from the packaging date when stored and handled properly.